7 Politicians That Smoked Weed
All around the world, the legalization of recreational and medicinal marijuana is surging ahead, and politicians are jumping on board the weed train to let voters know whether they inhaled or not!
Across North America and around the world, marijuana is becoming big business. 7 politicians that smoked weed is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our political leaders dabbling in marijuana.
Whether you are pro-weed or not, it doesn’t hurt to learn about your political leaders and whether or not they have ever tried smoking weed.
If you are in favor of legalizing marijuana and keeping it legal, then voting for a politician that hates the stuff isn’t going to work very well in your favor.
Politicians usually fall into several distinct categories when it comes to marijuana use. They have either tried it once and hated it, never tried it at all, or tried it a lot and don’t have any problems at all with it. Don’t wait around for any of these guys to join your circle session any time soon, but a little extra knowledge about our political leaders never hurt anyone!
1. Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas – Senator Cruz is definitely going to fall into the category of trying it once or twice and not enjoying it. When he was running for office, his campaign department admitted to Senator Cruz trying marijuana ‘foolishly’ as a teenager.
Along with some of his other youthful indiscretions, Senator Cruz’s defense follows the classic line ‘kids will be kids.’ Senator Cruz is pro federalizing marijuana laws to allow states to make their own decisions about legalizing marijuana but admitted that if he had to vote yes or no in his home state of Texas, it would be a no vote from him.
2. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau – The Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau isn’t afraid to let voters know where he stands on the marijuana debate. Recently, in an interview with reporters, Trudeau laid out all of his past marijuana use and admitted he has no regrets about any of it.
“No, it wasn’t a mistake,” Trudeau told journalists in Quebec City. “I do not consume cannabis. I am not a big consumer at all. I tried it. I’ve never tried other types of hard drugs. I am not a consumer of marijuana but, yes, I’ve already tried it. I used it – maybe five or six times in my life.” With Canada moving to legalize marijuana sometime in 2018, it’s no big surprise where Trudeau lands on the legalization debate.
- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-PA – The word ‘hypocrite’ comes to mind when we talk about Newt Gingrich. During an interview he admitted to experimenting with drugs when he was younger ‘was a sign we were alive and in graduate school in that era,’ but then sponsored one of the harshest laws on drugs, the Drug Importer Death Penalty Act of 1996. He may have admitted to smoking some weed during his youth, but Newt Gingrich is no friend to weed smokers.
4. Former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford – Former Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford was one politician that was happy to let everyone know he smoked marijuana. What he was less inclined to talk about was an alleged video of him allegedly smoking crack in a hotel room.
He was even charged with driving under the influence and marijuana possession in Florida during the 90s. “Oh yeah,” he said with a laugh. “I won’t deny that. I smoked a lot of it.” Ford said during an interview along with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne. Premier Wynn also admitted during the interview that she wasn’t a stranger to smoking weed either but said she had stopped years ago. “It’s never been a big part of my life,” said the 60-year-old premier.
5. Senator Bernie Sanders D-VT – Senator Bernie Sanders is definitely pro weed and has been an outspoken advocate for the legalization of marijuana across the United States. It’s always refreshing to see someone approach the debate of legalization with a common-sense attitude.
Senator Bernie Sanders recently admitted to smoking some weed at least twice and coughing his way through it! “Because I coughed a lot, I don’t know,” he said. “I smoked marijuana twice, didn’t quite work for me. … It’s not my thing, but it is the thing of a whole lot of people.” Bernie Sanders could be one of the most unexciting hippies of his generation, but he’s still pro-marijuana, and that’s a good sign for everyone!
6. Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall – During an interview in 2007, former Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall admitted to smoking a little marijuana when he was younger. While he isn’t going to break any records, admitting to trying weed ‘infrequently,’ Wall was at least honest enough to admit to trying it. “I’m going to have to now phone my mom and make sure I tell her how I had answered that question before you go to air,” he allegedly joked after the interview was completed. It’s good to see a politician with a good sense of humor and an honest attitude towards marijuana.
7. Former US President Barack Obama – Barack Obama is no stranger to marijuana and has frequently admitted to trying and smoking marijuana. “When I was a kid, I inhaled. That was the point,” Obama told an audience of magazine editors. When he was running for president, Obama’s admission was the direct opposite to that of Bill Clinton’s 1992 denial. “I didn’t inhale,” Clinton said, giving us a taste, but staying safely on the fence.
Obama wrote in his first book, “Dreams From My Father,” before entering politics that he had used marijuana and cocaine “maybe a little blow.” Obama said, “It was reflective of the struggles and confusion of a teenage boy,” he said. “Teenage boys are frequently confused.” Obama’s pro-marijuana stance was welcomed throughout his terms as president, and his replacement Donald Trump has fallen more on the conservative side of the debate.
Do you know of any stoner politician that deserves to be on this list? Comment below!